Sunday, May 17, 2009

Travel in this struggling economy

I'm sitting here thinking about a vacation I might take this year. The economy isnt great and that is a reality. But do I still need a vacation? Time to get away from it all and relax? The answer is YES. I live in Michigan and there are many places here that ive yet to visit. Maybe just a 4 day weekend at a Northern Michigan resort? A weekend in Chicago? The train from where I live to chicago round trip is only about $70. It takes longer to take the train then it does to drive (its only about a 3 1/2 hr drive) but the parking fees in Chicago are outrageous and im really not comfortable driving in the Windy city. Maybe a trip to Milwaukee...about a 7 hr drive. I visited Milwaukee years ago and remember it to be a very nice city. Botanical gardens, a wonderful zoo, brewery tours and of course cheese curds! I just think that despite the economy, people still need a break from it all. Maybe not a "trip of a lifetime" vacation just yet. That will have to wait until the economy turns around...at least for me it will have to wait. I know there are still Americans that are cruising etc., but not me. I think a small getaway is in the cards for me this summer but that trip of a lifetime is just around the corner. Italy, Scotland and Spain are places that im considering. I am a museum nut and would love to visit the Prado in Madrid and visit the impressionist museums in Florence Italy...but maybe this year it will be the Art Institute in Chicago. As the owner of a travel agency, Great Escapes Travel, I know that a lot of Americans are following suit. The trips im helping my clients plan are a few days in NYC and not the trips abroad. Weigh in please? What are your vacation plans this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment